1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2021 9:38 AM by James Konicek Branched to a new discussion.

Seeking Clinton County, Iowa Court or Coroner's Inquest files from 1858

Audrey Anders Newbie

Hello,

I am trying to track down the records of a murder that occurred near Lyons, Iowa (specifically I believe Elk River Township) in Clinton County, Iowa in July of 1858 (I believe would have occurred on July 14 specifically).

The man arrested was Thomas O'Brien, who was arrested for the murder of his wife. The newspaper articles do not state her first name, only "Mrs. O'Brien", so I would like to find the arrest records, or anything related to a coroner's inquest I saw mentioned that would have been performed by Coroner W.B. LaMont, and potentially any guardianship information relating to the either 3 or 4 children orphaned as a result.

Additionally, Thomas O'Brien later escaped the DeWitt jail in Clinton County in January 1859, so I would be interested in any relevant information to that occurrence, if there were any records pertaining to that.

The archives website stated that the Kansas City Archives branch houses many of the court records covering the period and location I'm looking for, however I'm unsure if the district courts would have handled a case such as this or if it was contained to the county level. As of now we haven't been able to find these at the local level yet.

Unfortunately, since the children were orphaned very young, I don't have much reliable information for birth dates and even the correct names at this point, but would love guidance or some research help until the KC archives branch has reopened for individual research. I think I've exhausted all of the digitized files available at this point. I am located in Kansas City so if there were options for a private appointment to be made I would be open to any resources available here locally.

Thanks so much.