1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2021 11:12 AM by Tracy Skrabut

Seeking Information regarding incident between F-14 Tomcat & MiG 23’s

Christian Gurling Newbie

Help

I Curate an aviation Museum here in Tillamook, Oregon (Tillamook Air Museum) and I am doing some research on an incident that occurred between our Grumman F-14 Tomcat (BuNo 159848) and two (2) Soviet MiG 23’s in the South China Sea on February 8, 1988. From speaking with the Tomcat’s pilot, LCDR Daryl “Snail” Ehrgott, the Tomcat took TCP video (video from the aircraft) of the incident. I filed a Freedom of Information Act request contacted the Naval Intelligence Center, however, they were unable to locate any records or the incident. They suggested I post here and that someone might have some ideas as to where to look next for such a video or report of the incident.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Christian Gurling

• Re: Seeking Information regarding incident between F-14 Tomcat & MiG 23’s
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear Mr. Gurling,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In regards your request for research into this incident, I might suggest three options for seeking more information.

You may wish to reach out to our unit in College Park, MD. They may be able to assist you with identifying the unit to which that plane was attached and search the records of that unit for the date of the incident. The disposition of the recording might be notated there.

National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

You may wish to reach out to our Cartographic Division at our College Park unit, as records may exist there of the incident.

National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

finally, you may wish to reach out to our Motion Pictures Division, as they may have received the recording of the incident.

National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSM) at mopix@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful