1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2021 8:03 AM by Alicia Gabriel

Seeking Aperture Cards of Ship Engineering Drawings

techhistorynerd Adventurer

Hi!  Looking at https://catalog.archives.gov recently, I noticed quite a lot of what appear to be new File Unit entries for the RG19 series "Aperture Cards of Ship Engineering Drawings, 1950 - 1966"

I noticed a while back it looked like the alphabetical progression through the physical ships drawings had more or less reached the end of the alphabet.  I'm guessing the scanning work (a magnificent job, by the way, thank you to the Cartographic staff for their efforts!) has gotten the majority of the "low hanging fruit" (i.e. smaller, stored flat drawings)?  If so, I was curious whether the population of the Aperture Card file units was an indication that the digitization efforts will focus there next?  I can certainly see that making sense in lieu of immediately tackling the more challenging physical cases (large rolled drawings, drawings needing preliminary conservation, etc.) from a bang-for-the-buck standpoint...

I know the Fort Worth NARA has some sort of high end scanner for Aperature Cards from Ron Burkley's efforts: https://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/ElectroMechanical.html  Does College Park have (or could they get) similar equipment that might allow them to efficiently digitize large swaths of the RG19 cards?

• Re: Seeking Aperture Cards of Ship Engineering Drawings
          Alicia Gabriel Adventurer

Dear Techhistorynerd,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.

Alicia Gabriel