2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2021 1:32 AM by Chris Dittmer Branched from an earlier discussion.

How can I tell if someone was in Vietnam from their DD214

Chris Dittmer Newbie

I’m seeking military records for: 1970-1976 Vietnam

David Allen Perry

DOB 6-25-1945

anything would be helpful

• Re: How can I tell if someone was in Vietnam from their DD214
          Alicia Gabriel Adventurer

Dear Chris,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs o request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Alicia Gabriel

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: How can I tell if someone was in Vietnam from their DD214
            Chris Dittmer Newbie

Thank you so much.  I will check the info and see if that helps!