2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2021 5:47 PM by John Connacher

Port of New York maritime records

John Connacher Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for what information is available about ships arriving in the Port of New York in 1880's  Specifically I am trying to investigate if my Great Aunt was born while her mother was traveling with her father (ships captain) on a Merchant Ship.  I am wondering if a birth at sea on a non passenger ship would be documented (ships log is unavailable).  I have documentation that claims she was born on Apr 5th 1882 in  Saint Augusta, Florida and was baptized 8 days later on Apr 13th 1882 l in Brooklyn NY.

• Re: Port of New York maritime records
          Charles Miller Newbie

Dear John Connacher,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Here is a Microfilm List of New York Passenger Arrival Records, 1789-1957, at the National Archives at New York City (RE-NY). https://www.archives.gov/nyc/finding-aids/immigration-microfilm.html

For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) at newyork.archives@nara.gov.

Additionally, there is a series of microfilm records, Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, 6/17/1897-7/3/1957. Unfortunately, it appears that these records only exist in microfilm. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/300346

These records are located at the National Archives at Washington D.C.- Textual Reference (RDT1).  You can contact them at Archives1reference@nara.gov .

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff.  As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from the two offices noted above.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

• Re: Port of New York maritime records
              John Connacher Newbie

Hi Charles Miller,

Thanks for your reply.  As I noted in the original post, the ship in question was not a passenger ship, but a merchant ship, so I do not think the passenger arrival records will provide any value in this case.

I was hoping that upon arrival for merchant ships there were other medical records captured (possibly for people who were sick, had died in transit, or those born at sea)

Thanks

John