18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2021 9:13 AM by Abigail Shelton

Lodge-Roosevelt Correspondence

Laurence Jurdem Newbie

Hi everyone:

For those of you who have responded to my query many thanks. I think for all concerned it would be easier to send me your answers directly to my e-mail.  That way I can send you the links to a particular letter.

Many thanks

Laurence Jurdem

Gail Andrews Henry Rosenberg

• Re: Lodge-Roosevelt Correspondence
          Gail Andrews Wayfarer

Hi Laurence,

Received your email but it only allows me to respond to all.  I will await clarification.

Thank you.

Gail

Henry Rosenberg Navigator

I clicked the link from the email I received from History Hub and it allowed me to just reply to Laurence.

Gail Andrews Wayfarer

I tried responding to your email it replied there was an issue with with email system from here but received Friday a note I'd be receiving docs.  Still haven't how about you? 

1 person found this helpful

Hi Gail- I have not received anything yet either. I sent Laurence an email Friday and have not heard back.

Gail Andrews Wayfarer

Hi Henry,

Could you please send your personal email to Laurence or resend if you did Friday?

He just contacted me he did not receive it.

Gail

Hi Gail- I resent my email to Laurence and received a few documents this evening. I think I am all set with him. Thanks for your help.

Henry

Have you had a chance to work on any letters? I've worked on a few. The handwriting is terrible so pages are taking 30-45 minutes per. Laurence said there are alot of pages. I don't want to take all of my time from By The People so I am not sure how much time I want to spend on these. It could become like a full time job without the benefits.

Henry

Abigail Shelton Wayfarer

Henry-thanks for bringing this to our attention! Initially, we thought the request was related to By the People and our ongoing Roosevelt campaign. But it sounds like this may be a private transcription inquiry.

Laurence Jurdem this board is meant to be a place for volunteers and Library staff to discuss work related to the By the People transcription program. We appreciate your interest in transcription but in future, please direct non-By the People requests, especially for personal research, to another board or forum.

However, if you find letters within our current Roosevelt campaign that you'd like help with, feel free to comment on them here! You can find that campaign here: https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/rough-rider-bull-moose-theodore-roosevelt/

Abby

Gail Andrews Wayfarer

Hi Henry,

Yes I've worked on all 5 I was sent and transcribed them as well as sent them back.  That is all I can read they are so terrible poor in handwriting.  I probably transcribed a little over half of the words on each.  So they are taking time plus one had two pages to it.  I didn't know there were a lot of pages. 

As I wasn't aware of the longevity of the project I too would not want to commit to something sizeable.

Gail

Hi Gail- yes, the handwriting was abyssmal. I had a little better luck getting through them probably because my handwriting is not much better. I communicated with him and said that to do this I would require compensation. Each page took a minimum of 30 minutes and some longer. Also, I was surprised to hear from LOC that they did not approve his contact to us through this board. I figured he had gotten permission from them. I was just curious as to your experience. Take care.

Henry

Gail Andrews Wayfarer

Hi Henry,

Due to your longevity here I figured you had much less trouble than I while I too offered to help with the project if compensated perhaps we could split it if asked but if you wish to do it I wish you well.  I wrote to moderators that I trusted this as one of the very reasons for moderation and was under the impression they approved both posts and people but it's a good reminder for us all to question going forward.

If the pages need to be transcribed here anyways I'd rather use Abigail's link to do so and reap double the results.  Perhaps we could also leave them as needed to be reviewed if we are offered the project in case someone was able to glean more of the handwriting after us.

Gail

Hi Gail,

I have a feeling Laurence will contact us if he wants us to do some transcription. I left it with him that going forward if we do transcription we should be compensated, as it is a private project. I assume we would each be compensated for whatever pages we do.It seems as if we do some pages for Laurence he would trust us to transcribe them without the ususal By The People process. Otherwise he wouldn't have us do them. Also, we could collaborate by sending pages back and forth if we would like to have someone check our work more directly than through the site. I have done this with other people in the past.

That said, I agree with you. If we could do the pages as part of By The People it would be better. I saved what I transcribed for Laurence so if I come across those pages, I will be able to paste them in.

Finally, if the moderators have further concerns (Abby, I am assuming you will read this post) please let us know. Our first priority is to the By The People project.

Thanks,

Henry

Gail Andrews Wayfarer

Hi Henry & Abigrail,

Agreed and I too have what I sent him to add due to sending it by email to him.

A Librarian at the LOC approved this he said so I'm sad to say he may have had a less than great result with this in more ways than one which is I'm sure the last thing any of us want as it was just an oversight.  I have assured him due to no fault of his and we look forward to helping him again if he so chooses in some capacity. 

Abigail, As I do not know the usual protocol so was very concerned when we received the notice after the fact not to share our emails.  Does the Librarian that Laurence went through and approved him at the LOC normally introduce him and his project here so we'd know next time how to proceed instead of himself of which I thought he was an employee of the LOC.

Thank you!

Gail

Abigail Shelton Wayfarer

Hi Gail, Henry, and all,

Since this board is for the By the People project, we try to keep the discussion threads focused on the materials that are currently up on the By the People site. If researchers or others have requests for transcription outside of By the People, we generally want them to make those announcements in other forums. We weren't aware of this Roosevelt-Lodge project beforehand and initially thought Laurence was asking for help working on materials within the By the People Roosevelt campaign, which is why we didn't step in sooner.

As moderators, as long as a comment doesn't strictly violate the comment policy, we like to let it through. But in this case, we do want to make some clarifications and focus the thread back onto By the People.

Also, a quick tip-you can tell who works for the Library of Congress by looking at their profile picture. We'll always have a Library logo and you can also look at our profile details where we list our positions.

We generally advise against sharing email accounts in such a public space and in future will not be approving comments with personal contact information. Follow the links that the History Hub admins provided to learn about a new way that participants can contact each other directly off the board. It may come in handy for you or others who would like to email one another about your work!

Laurence Jurdem it sounds like you were in contact with another Library colleague about your research who suggested you post here on the thread. We're sorry for any mix-up! The By the People team wasn't aware of your project in advance. I'll be sending you an email directly and we can figure out how we might best help you with your work! 

Abby

By the People Community Manager

Gail Andrews Wayfarer

Henry - and yes I was under the impression they worked here as an employee due to the post being approved.