2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2021 10:36 AM by Shane Bell

How to find 1930s/1940s Iranian Immigrants to USA

Sara Khan Newbie

Hello!

I have been stuck on this for about 8 months now and in need of much needed help.

I would like to find out how many Iranian immigrants came to the US in the 1930s/1940s and if possible where they settled in the US. I have tried ancesrty.com, myheritage, and other sites for information, but came up on almost nothing.

I do know that very few came but I am trying to find any records on these individuals.

Any help and guidance in the right direction is much appreciated!

• Re: How to find 1930s/1940s Iranian Immigrants to USA
          Susannah Brooks Tracker

Using Ancestry.com passenger arrivals 1940 +/- 10 years and entering Iran as the birthplace (checked as exact) I got just over 3,000 names with arrival dates.  I noticed about half way through the list, some of the people had birthplaces other than Iran or Persia, so you would probably have to look at each person to see if it fits what you are looking for.

• Re: How to find 1930s/1940s Iranian Immigrants to USA
            Shane Bell Newbie

Dear Mrs. Kahn,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!  You may find some useful information here: https://www.archives.gov/research/immigration/overview.  This is the National Archives’ page about immigration records.  It may have avenues for research that you have not yet explored.  It is possible that immigration to the U.S. from Iran did not occur in significant numbers during the period you are researching.  If so, documentation would not be as numerous as other periods of greater immigration.

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.