3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2021 10:50 AM by Alicia Gabriel

Checking Status of SF 180 Request to NPRC

Michelle Kinnucan Adventurer

On October 15, 2020, I sent, via first-class mail, a completed Standard Form 180 to the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records) in St. Louis. It was a non-emergency, research request concerning someone unrelated to me. I have never received any response. Given COVID-19 restrictions is this unusual or should I have received some response by now?

• Re: Checking Status of SF 180 Request to NPRC
          Alicia Gabriel Adventurer

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

Since you have allowed sufficient time for NPRC to receive and process your request (more than 10 days), you may check the status of your request by e-mail through the NPRC Customer Service Center at mpr.status@nara.gov. Please provide the request number, the name, address and phone number of the requester, and the veteran's branch of service in order to aid NPRC to find your request in their system. You will receive a return e-mail from NPRC with a projected completion date for your request.

You may also telephone the NPRC Customer Service Line (this is a long-distance call for most customers) at 314-801-0800.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful.

Alicia Gabriel

Michelle Kinnucan Adventurer

Thank you for your reply. Where do I get "the request number" you referenced above? As I mentioned I never received any response for the NPRC.

Alicia Gabriel Adventurer

Dear Michelle,

We see that you submitted your initial request after the coronavirus public health emergency actions were in place. You may not receive an email with confirmation or request number until full services are restored. You can monitor the operational status of the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) here.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, we are only processing urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals. Status updates for all other requests previously submitted are not available at this time. We expect to restore this service as soon as we are able to resume normal operations at the end of this public health emergency. Thank you for your patience.

More information about the National Archives' response to coronavirus can be found at archives.gov/coronavirus.

We hope this is helpful!

Alicia Gabriel