1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 6:36 PM by Eric Kilgore

I need help locating my father's discharge papers

Joanne Capitano Newbie

I need help locating my father's discharge papers from 1956. He was in the Army in the Korean War.

• Re: I need help locating my father's discharge papers
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear Joanne Capitano,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The process for requesting your father's DD-214 or Certificate of Discharge is fairly straight forward.  These documents are a filed in the veteran's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and are in the custody of the National Personnel Record Center / National Archives at St. Louis.  However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and their families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits.  If his discharge is needed for an emergency, please follow this link to submit your request:  https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Scroll down to the "Looking for Records" section and click the "Start Request Online" button.  From there, just enter the information about his service and submit.  Be sure to state if the request is for an emergency and if so, what type of emergency to help best process the request. 

Please note, that your father's records may have been affected by the 1973 fire at the National Personnel Record Center.  If this is the case, and a copy of his original discharge document is unavailable, you will be provided with a certificate of service that is an official document and carries with it all of the rights and privilege's of the original document.  I hope this answers your question and helps expedite your request.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this response was helpful!