3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 3:43 PM by James marshall Branched to a new discussion.

muster rolls, Seminole War.

James marshall Newbie

Hello,

I am interested in copies of the muster-in, and muster-out rolls of Colonel William Chisolm's Regiment of Alabama Volunteers (3 months), in the Seminole War of 1836. There is an index to these rolls on microfilm, but they contain no information other than the names. How can I order or procure copies of the original muster rolls?

James Marshall,

Hernando, FL.

• Re: muster rolls, Seminole War.
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

James,

Like you mentioned Alabama Vol  3 months Service Solider Index cards are digitized and are available on Fold3 you are wanting the Actual units muster in and outs for a particular solider? Have you looked at pension records?

You looking for someone specific?

James marshall Newbie

Hello, thanks for the replies.

I would like copies of the entire original rolls if that is possible.

Elliott, I have transcribed the index cards taken from the muster-in, and muster-out rolls you mention (from microfilm, though I do now have a fold3 subscription). Because names are spelled differently, or given slightly differently, on the separate rolls there are multiple reference cards that I suspect are given for the same man in several cases. Hard to say without comparing the Muster rolls. Also, the microfilmed index does not give any reference to disposition or casualties, fatal or otherwise.

There is no tabulation of fatalities among the volunteer and militia units, like Colonel Chisolm's, during the Seminole War in Florida.

James Marshall,

Hernando, FL.

Anna Smallwood Newbie

Dear James Marshall:

Thank you for your recent question on History Hub!

We conducted a search in the National Archives’ catalog for William Chisolm and found a few results that you may wish to consult. You may wish to also consult the National Archives’ website that has additional information about requesting records related to the Seminole Wars.

The National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov has the Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers Who Served During the Florida War in Organizations From the State of Alabama, Microfilm Publication M245. We suggest reaching out to them with additional questions related to these records.

We hope this assists you with your research!