3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 7:48 AM by Alicia Gabriel

List of Dutch POW Fukuoka

F. Lucas Newbie

Searching for a list of Dutch POW . They boarded in sept.1945 in Nagasaki. I want to find his name, J.ZOMER, and maybe his running mate during that stay on the USS Biloxi. Who cab help me........
      Best regards,
      Frans Lucas

The Netherlands.

• Re: List of Dutch POW Fukuoka
          Alicia Gabriel Wayfarer

Dear Frans,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We have searched the National Archives Catalog and located USS Biloxi - War Diaries in the Records of the Office of Chief of Naval Operations, 1875-2006 (Record Group 38). War diaries are daily journals of events submitted by all but the most minor of naval commands during WWII. The operational information they contain is complementary to information provided by the ship/command's action reports.  If certain information cannot be located in one series, it may sometimes appear in the other.  The structure and style of information presented in the war diaries is analogous to that found in the deck logs of Navy ships.  In some cases, ships submitted handwritten deck logs in lieu of war diaries. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from Textual Reference (RDT2). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Alicia Gabriel

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: List of Dutch POW Fukuoka
              F. Lucas Newbie

Dear Alicia,
              You made my day bright!! Thank you so much for your effort to give me new and important information. In the war diary of the Biloxi, I found the exact date of depart from Nagasaki, and I know now to where the Biloxi went. So, there is still a lot to search, but this is an important step. I did not find a list of the Dutch POW, just the number. But I am new on this site and the start is very hopeful. Thank you so much for your help and the time you spent to answer me.
              Than you!

Love
              Frans Lucas.