2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2021 3:18 PM by Gary Vanover

Seeking information on William Vannover

Gary Vanover Newbie

I am seeking information on William Vannover who was born in 1806 in New Jersey and died in 1877 in Congress, Wayne County, Ohio. I need help finding the parents of William Vannover (later spelled Vanover). His wife was Elizabeth Eshelman.

• Re: Seeking information on William Vannover
          Carey Stumm Wayfarer

Dear Vanover,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We started with a search of the Census but unfortunately no schedules are known to exist for Ohio in 1810 and we did not see a listing for William Vannover/Vanover/Van Over in the 1920 census. We do see a possible listing in 1830 but as he was 24 at this point there is no listing of his parents.

The best place to look might be New Jersey birth records. Prior to 1848 these were often kept by town clerks office or church records.

Many of these records were microfilmed and scanned. The 1660-1980 New Jersey birth records are free to search on Family Search but it is required that you create an account to view the records.

You may also want to try Ancestry 1660-1931 New Jersey Births and Christenings Index. Ancestry requires a subscription but many public libraries offer free access with your library card. I would suggest reaching out to your local library to see if that’s a service they provide.

Also, all of the records that we found for William Vannover who was born in New Jersey in 1806 and died in Ohio in 1877 shows that his wife’s name was Juliann Vannover and that they had eight children. Searching family trees posted on Family Search might be a good alternative option for tracking down William’s parents names.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!