1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 9:21 AM by Tracy Skrabut

When did my mom become a naturalized citizen?

Margie Trejo Newbie

When did my mom become a naturalized citizen?

• Re: When did my mom become a naturalized citizen?
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear Ms. Trejo,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

When researching naturalization records for an individual, gathering the following information can greatly assist you in locating and identifying records:

Name: 

Date of Birth: 

Place of Birth: 

Spouse Name: 

Date of Marriage: 

Date of immigration: 

Residence: 

Children:

Death: 

Once you have gathered as much information as you can, the next step is to contact the court or archival repository which might hold records of naturalization for the place of residence of the individual.

On March 26, 1790, Congress passed an act (1 Stat. 103) that allowed any individual seeking citizenship to apply to any court of record in a state where he or she lived for one year.  Before September 27, 1906, an alien could seek citizenship through any Federal, state, or local court.  As a result, you need to know to which court [name] submitted the application for naturalization.  If he [she] were naturalized in a state or local court, you will need to contact the court directly to obtain information regarding the disposition of its records.

Records of naturalization proceedings in Federal courts are usually among the records of the U.S. District Court in which the proceedings took place.  These records may still be in the custody of the court, or they may have been transferred to one of the regional branches of the National Archives as a part of the Records of the District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21).

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!