1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 2:16 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking manifests for UH1 helicopters of USNS Corpus Christi Bay

Guy Boye Newbie

How or where can I find the manifests for the UH1 helicopters flown from the USNS Corpus Christi Bay (1st Transportation Battalion) in Vietnam? I flew as right door gunner and am trying to build a service record. I flew with crew chiefs Sgt. Benson and Sgt. Sydney Hanson. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking manifests for UH1 helicopters of USNS Corpus Christi Bay
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Boye,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Transportation Unit Records, ca. 1965 - ca. 1973 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that includes the command reports of the 1st Transportation Battalion during Vietnam (Boxes 218-260). For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. They may include manifests if they were considered permanent records.

The semi-annual rosters (i.e., April and October) for 1960-74 for Army units are attached to the morning reports of the respective units. All rosters for the period are not available and usually list only enlisted personnel. Paper copies may be obtained from microfilm by writing to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Research and reproduction fees are charged for this service.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 to request this information.

We also located the Motion Picture Films from the Army Library Copy Collection, 1964 - 1980 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that includes 8 file units pertaining to the USNS Corpus Christi Bay during Vietnam. In addition, we located Moving Images Relating to Military Activities, ca. 1947 - 1980 in the General Records of the Department of the Navy (Record Group 428) that includes 3 files unit pertaining to the USNS Corpus Christi Bay.  For more information about these films, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSM) at mopix@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2, RS-SL, and RDSM. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!