2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 3:51 PM by Elliot Schneider

is it possible to obtain my official military photos from my archived record? Used for promotions of senior enlisted.

Edward Hurt Newbie

is it possible to obtain my official military photos from my archived record? Used for promotions of senior enlisted.

• Re: is it possible to obtain my official military photos from my archived record? Used for promotions of senior enlisted.
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Edward,

Military photos of individuals were not considered permanent to a soldiers record. At least for the Army not sure about the other branches. It would help to specify which branch and time frame.

• Re: is it possible to obtain my official military photos from my archived record? Used for promotions of senior enlisted.
            Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear Edward Hurt,

Thank you for your recent question on History Hub! 

Under normal circumstances, you are most welcome to request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) which may contain photographs, including those taken for promotions, etc.  Please note, that you would need to request a complete copy of your service record as we are unable to provide select documents from a record.  The Official Military Personnel Files are in the custody of the National Personnel Record Center / National Archives at St. Louis.  However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and their families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits.  Currently, there is a substantial backlog of routine requests, in addition to the emergency requests awaiting response.  While it is still unknown how soon we will able to resume responding to routine requests,  the National Personnel Record Center is working hard and taking an aggressive approach to decreasing response times and eliminating the backlog. 

You may submit your request at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records , but please understand, that your request will be placed into a queue for non-emergency requests until such time as we are able to process it. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!