1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2021 10:32 AM by Shannon Kerner

    How do I get my father’s DD214?

    Ellen Borysewicz Newbie

      My father , Edward Joseph Kirwan , was a glider pilot in WWll . He use to talk about being shot down/ crashing behind enemy lines and having to make his way back to our side. He said it was during the glider invasion of Normandy. I have some of his papers from his training at Waco Army Air field and a flight book showing his training times in the Waco CG 4 A and a book called The Bee Tee where there is a picture of him in Aviation Cadet Class 43- J , Squadron 468. He also said that he flew bombers, the B 17 was one he mentioned. He said he was in the European Theatre and he is buried with the title Flight Officer . My sisters and I would love to find out more about his military record and if he was in the Normandy invasion. Thank you.

        • Re: How do I get my father’s DD214?
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Borysewicz,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!