1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 6:50 AM by Ceri McCarron

Seeking letter sent to President FDR wishing Happy Holidays

Theresa McElroy Newbie

Is there a way to locate a letter that was formally sent to President FDR for Happy Holidays December 1937? A formal letter of thanks and good wishes was created by a group of nonpartisan individuals from the Atlantic County, NJ area. I have the original artist’s rendition, but it does not have names attached. I am hoping to find a copy of the original which contains the names of the signees. I was hoping that the archives contained such literature. It was definitely from a local group and not a general publication. I am assuming that it was connected to the local WPA office because the original artist’s rendition was delivered to a specific gentleman, Andrew McElroy who worked in the office for approval. Any information would be helpful. Even if  you sadly have to inform me that such items would not be archived if indeed it did come from the office. Thank you

• Re: Seeking letter sent to President FDR wishing Happy Holidays
          Ceri McCarron Wayfarer

Dear Ms. McElroy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled President's Personal Files, 1933 - 1945 in the Papers as President, President's Personal File, 1933 - 1945 (Collection FDR-PPF) that may include the letter you seek. For more information, please contact the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library (LP-FDR) at roosevelt.library@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from LP-FDR. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful