5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2021 1:08 PM by Joseph Colford

Seeking death certificate of Margaret Dunn

Joseph Colford Newbie

Margaret Dunn was laid to rest in Calvary Cemetery in New York on December 1, 1910.  However, I cannot find her death certificate in the NYC Archives.  If she did not die in New York, how might I find her death certificate?  She was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1860.

• Re: Seeking death certificate of Margaret Dunn
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Colford,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you contact the NYC Department of Records and Information Services to request a search for her death certificate.  You may wish to note any name variants or broaden your search for the surrounding years.  We also suggest that you contact Calvary Cemetery to inquire about any records pertaining to Margaret Dunn. 

In addition, the FamilySearch Research wiki for How to Find United States Death Records may also be helpful. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Amanda Pritchard Adventurer

Dear Mr. Colford,

Thank you for posting for your request on History Hub!

As a follow-up to the above response, I found the below record on FamilySearch. While the burial date is for Oct. 1910 instead of Dec. 1910, this Margaret Dunn was also born in 1860 in Ireland and was also buried in Calvary Cemetery in New York City.

Name: Margaret Dunn

Event Type: Death

Event Date: 3 Oct 1910

Event Place: Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States

Event Place (Original): Manhattan, New York, New York, United States

Address: no home

Residence Place: New York City

Sex: Female

Marital Status: Married

Race: White

Birth Year (Estimated): 1860

Birthplace: Ireland

Burial Date: 5 Oct 1910

Cemetery: Calvary

Father's Name: Charles Daly

Father's Birthplace: Ireland

Mother's Name: Bridget Sharp

Mother's Birthplace: Ireland

Note: 33 yrs. in United States; Home for the Aged, Little Sisters of the Poor, 213 E. 70th St.; 33 yrs. in N.Y.C.

Certificate Number: cn 30031

GS Film Number: 1323258

Digital Folder Number: 004002053

Image Number: 02129

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: B05818-6

Record Number: 57

Citing this Record
            "New York, New York City Municipal Deaths, 1795-1949," database, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:271L-TQ1 : 3 June 2020), Margaret Dunn, 3 Oct 1910; citing Death, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States, New York Municipal Archives, New York; FHL microfilm 1,323,258.

If you would like to order a copy of the death record, please visit https://www1.nyc.gov/doittshoppingcart/deathCertificate.htm.

We hope this helps!

Amanda

Joseph Colford Newbie

Thank you, Amanda.  I held out great hopes a few years ago that this Margaret Dunn was mine, but I found this death cert in the NYC Archives, and she is not my Margaret.  My Margaret's maiden name was Harvey; she married Michael Dunn here in 1882.  Michael died from typhus in 1887, leaving Margaret the single parent of three children, ages 5, 3, and 8 months (my grandmother).  Knowing the day she was buried but not knowing how or where she died has been very frustrating!  Thank you again for reaching out.

Timothy McGoldrick Wayfarer

Found information on Margaret Harvey Dunn on Findagrave Death Dec 1, 1910 see link;

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/154351331/margaret-dunn  both her husband and son are buried in the same grave. I was able to do a search in Queens Death Certificate numbers from Nov-30, 1910 to Dec-3, 1910  the DC #s are 3612-3635  results no match.

Also on Findagrave their son John F, Dunn wife  Gertrude McWilliams Dunn is entered in the same grave see link:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/53419663/gertrude-mcwilliams-dunn.

When a person is buried the cemetery would require a death certificate as Cara Jensen stated in her post you should contact Calvary Cemetery they may have that information for Margaret Dunn.

Tim

Joseph Colford Newbie

Thanks, Tim.  I have contacted Calvary, but it does not have any death cert, unfortunately.  All it has is the listing of the folks buried there.  Margaret purchased the plot the day her husband died of typhus in 1887 after just five years of marriage; three children were left behind for Margaret to care for.  I have been on the hunt for her death cert and the info it contains for many years.  I appreciate your help.