2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2021 12:24 PM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking my father's alleged courts-martial records

patricia demers Wayfarer

Dad told my brother it was his job in part to keep factory production schedules or orders on track as he had to move product and supplies to locations in advance of the next offensive. He was a quiet man and worked in the Ordnance Division. When a particular factory was threatening to go on strike during the war for more money, he may have been part of taking a bus of men to the factory to straighten out the problem and there may have been an altercation. I'm not in possession of the facts but my father said he was brought up on charges and found innocent in the military court later as he was doing his job.

I have been going thru NARA military titles and topics and so far, I have found nothing to send for, nor where to write. He was in the Army, posted stateside the entire time in Rochester New York where the Ordnance had an office.  He was in the US Army Ordnance 1942 - 1946 and honorably discharged after that. I have his discharge papers. They didn't call it a DD214 back then, it was a longer more involved number in case someone says get the DD214. That had nothing on it regarding the courts-martial.

I am waiting to hear back from the FBI if they have a file on him, through the Freedom of Information Act. I am curious and maybe that is a resource.

• Re: Seeking my father's alleged courts-martial records
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Ms. Demers,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

There may have been an investigation prior to any courts-martial. We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series General Correspondence, 1917 - 1947 in the Records of the Office of the Inspector General (Army) (Record Group 159) that may include information about the altercation at the Rochester Ordnance District. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

• Re: Seeking my father's alleged courts-martial records
            Rachael Salyer Navigator

Dear Ms. Demers,

We located some additional information that may be helpful.

The U.S. Army general courts-martial (GCM) records from 1917 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to the records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Again, best of luck with your family research!