3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2021 12:27 PM by Alex Daverede

Seeking history of minesweepers in WWII

Tom Boyer Adventurer

Where can I find general and specific histories of minesweepers in the Pacific Theater in WWII? My father served on USS YMS-196 and I have read the ship's log in the NARA in Maryland. Are there general ship's histories and/or oral histories of minesweepers and their crews?

• Re: Seeking history of minesweepers in WWII
          Alex Daverede Adventurer

Tom,

The pickings are thin in this field as the Navy is very reluctant to declassify information about mines and mine countermeasures even as old as World War II.  Many histories of the naval side of WWII incorporate some details about mine warfare; however, those dives into the topic are not deep.

There are three volumes that focus specifically on mine warfare that may enlighten you as to your father’s World War II service.  I recommend trying to find the following volumes:

Weapons That Wait: Mine Warfare in the U. S. Navy, Gregory Hartmann, U.S. Naval Institute, 1979 and 1991.

Naval Minewarfare: Where the Fleet Goes, We’ve Been, Richard Hansen, Turner Publications, 1997

Damn the Torpedoes: A Short History of U. S. Naval Mine Countermeasures, 1777-1991, Tamara Moser Amelia, Naval Historical Center, 1991

The first book is a more technical discussion that spans several conflicts while the second book is by Navy minesweeping veterans whose experiences span World War II , Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm.  The third book is a very short (ca. 200 pages) study by one of the Naval Historical Center’s more junior historians.  All three books can be found at Abebooks.com.

I hope you find this information useful.

Good luck with your research!

A. J.

• Re: Seeking history of minesweepers in WWII
            Tom Boyer Adventurer

Thanks for the info. I requested the books through interlibrary loan. i look forward to reading them.

Maybe one last question: do you know of an organization (government or other) that would like a copy of the history my father's shipmate wrote?