4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2021 11:43 AM by Lisa Sharik

Seeking military letter written to family

Tyler Nichols Newbie

Hello, I've been doing work on my family history over the last few years (specifically the veterans) and had a question. My late Great-Grandmother told me a few years ago that during WWII, her family got a letter from an officer, who was in charge of one of her brothers. This brother in particular served in the Marine Corps and saw combat. The letter said that her brother was alive and safe, but that the officer wanted to write to her family, that her brother had saved several marine's lives and was a good marine etc. etc.

My question is, would a letter like this have been saved or archived by the military, if so where or how could I possibly get a copy? I obtained her brothers military records a few years ago and there were copies of letters from the Marine Corps and Red Cross, to my Great-Grandmothers family when he was injured for example, so I'm curious if something like this might have survived.

-Thank you for your time

• Re: Seeking military letter written to family
          Lisa Sharik Scout

If it was a personal letter sent to his family, then there would be no records of it in the War Department files. There would only be a record if it was official military correspondence.

Respectfully,

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

2 people found this helpful
              Tyler Nichols Newbie

Hello Lisa, thank you for your reply!

I'm not sure if the letter was official or not, if it were, where would it have been held?

Lisa Sharik Scout

Mr. Nichols:

Someone from the National Archives can reply with specific location information but if it was official correspondence then it would be with the records of your Great Grandfather's particular unit within the USMC.

Below is an example from my files of an official letter sent by General Dahlquist, commander of the 36th Infantry Division to the wife of one of his soldiers who had been killed in action. A copy of this original letter could be found at the National Archives, in the records of the 36th Infantry Division from WWII.

Lisa Sharik

Deputy Director

Texas Military Forces Museum

Letter from General Dahlquist

1 person found this helpful
                Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Nichols,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

As stated by the previous poster, if you requested a complete copy of the veteran’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and the letter you seek was not included, then it was not considered official correspondence. The original letter sent from the officer to your family would be the only copy.

We hope this is helpful.

1 person found this helpful