3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2021 12:59 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking correct final receipt date of a Homestead application

JoAnn Bohl Newbie

The date of the Final Receipt for a Homestead application is Apr 10, 1885 recorded at my local county Register of Deeds office in Kansas. However, we have the actual Homestead Certificate with the red seal, and signed by the President, and the date on the actual certificate is Feb 4, 1888. Why is there a difference of over 2 years? And when did the homesteader actually have final ownership of the land? I also found it recorded in the Tract Books at the BLM as "F.C. No. 8361 April 9, 1885". Did it take almost 3 years to send the Homesteader the official certificate?

• Re: Seeking correct final receipt date of a Homestead application
          Carol Fuller Newbie

Hi JoAnn,

The first usual step with the Kansas Homestead Act of 1862 was paying a filing fee and submitting an application for the land. Improvements must be made on the property such as harvesting crops and building a residence that is occupied for five years. It is not unusual at all to see the arrival of the land deed or certificate years after filing the application. 

JoAnn Bohl Newbie

Thank you for your reply Carol, but I don't think I made my question clear. A land entry filed with a fee paid of $5 to the local land office has the date of March 1879. After all all the improvements were made to the homestead and all requirements met then another fee of $4 was paid to the local land office as the "Final Recipt", which I found recorded at my county Register of Deeds office for the date April 1885. The "Patent" for the Homestead was also filed and recorded at my county Register of Deeds office with the date Dec 1888 (which is the same date that is on the actual Homestead Certificate with the red seal, that was given to the homesteader.)

I guess I kind of have two questions. 1. Why the 3 year difference between the "Final Receipt" date ..... and the "Patent" date?  Did the homesteader actually own the land when the "Final Recipt" was recorded, or not until the "Patent" was recorded? There were several Mortgages files against this land after the "Final Recipt" was recorded but still before the "Patent" date was recorded.

Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Ms. Bohl,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To help resolve the date discrepancy, we suggest that you request the Land Entry Case file using a Form NATF 84.  Typically a case file will contain information regarding the passage of ownership of the land from the Federal Government to the Entryman (or land owner).  The file reflects the paperwork accumulated by the local land office in administering the application.  Types of documents that can be present in the file include applications, correspondence, final patent, claimant’s testimony, legal land description, and survey maps or drawings.  Additionally the file might contain marriage certificates, naturalization records, age and place of birth of claimant, military service, literacy, and economic status. To request the file you will need to enter the name of the person claiming the homestead, where the homestead was (state), and the legal land description of the claim (township, range, and section). 

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We also suggest that you review the NARA publication How the West Was Settled and the website about Land Entry Case Files and Related Records for more information.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!