2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2021 11:02 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking a copy of my courts-martial file

    Tony Raske Newbie

      I need to find out what kind of courts-martial I had. I have a permit to conceal/carry but was recently questioned about guns and a background check showed a felony. I was unaware of this. Detective informed me it is the courts-martial. Can someone help me figure this out? Local authorities are trying to charge me with unlawful possession of fire arm.

        • Re: Seeking a copy of my courts-martial file
          J. Andrew Scout

          What branch of service and when did you serve?

          • Re: Seeking a copy of my courts-martial file
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. Raske,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The location of any courts martial files concerning you would depend on the branch of service and the date of the trial.


            U.S. Army general courts-martial (GCM) records from 1917 to 1976 and Navy general courts-martial records (including Marine Corps) from 1951 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For information about these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            U.S. Army general courts-martial records after 1976 are in the custody of the Army. For access to these records, please contact the Office of Clerk of Court, U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals, ATTN: JALS-CCZ, 9275 Gunston Road, Building 1450, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5546. 


            U.S. Navy general courts-martial (GMC) records after 1976 (including Marine Corps), are in the custody of the Office of the Judge Advocate General, United States Navy, 1322 Patterson Avenue, Suite 3000, Washington, DC 20374-5066. To request an individual courts-martial case file, please submit a request to the Military Justice Information Division. Instructions on how to submit a request are available on their Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) page.


            For the location of Air Force courts-martial records from 1947 through 1976, please contact the Air Force Records Manager, Department of the Air Force, 1800 Air Force Pentagon, Washington, DC 20330.  The email address is Daf.records@us.af.mil.


            The Air Force has custody of closed courts-martial trials after 1976, but a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request is necessary to retrieve them. This can be a lengthy and expensive process, plus part of the record may be redacted before it is given to you. Reference both FOIA and the Privacy Act in your request, to ensure that you get the most complete copy possible. You also may request a waiver of the fees. Please contact the Air Force Legal Operations Agency (AFLOSA/JAJM), 1500 West Perimeter Road, Suite 1130, Joint Base Andrews, MD 20762 or submit your request online. Please check https://www.compliance.af.mil/Library/Handbook/ for more information prior to submitting FOIA requests.


            For US Coast Guard General Courts-Martial records after 1974, please contact Mr. James Roppel, Attn: Records Manager, U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7710, 2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20593-7710. His email address is james.d.roppel@uscg.mil and his telephone is 202-475-3531.


            We hope this information is helpful.