1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2021 11:21 AM by Jamie Vander Clute

Seeking a Seaplane Engineer stationed at Urelapa

Valencia Packete Newbie

Hi, I'm looking for information on my great grand father. He was an African American Seaplane Engineer that was based on the island of Urelapa, South of Espiritu Santo, in New Hebrides during WWII. His first name or otherwise known as Jimmy. I don't know his surname, but he was involved with a local girl named Hilda. They had a daughter together, but whether he knew about it or not, I don't know. Their relationship was cut short somehow because someone else was interested in my great grandmother. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking a Seaplane Engineer stationed at Urelapa
          Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Packete,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the General Correspondence, 1943 - 1945 of the Second Seaplane Base in the Records of Naval Operating Forces (Record Group 313) that document the construction and operation of airfields, maintenance of aircraft, and naval air operations during World War II. Included are correspondence, issuances, logs, and reports of the Base which was part of the U.S. Naval Air Center on Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides. We were unable to locate records of Urelapa. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at San Francisco (RW-SB) at sanbruno.archives@nara.gov

Questions concerning a former member of the U.S. Armed Forces who may be the father of a child born during or around the time of World War II should be sent to the NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please mark the envelope and the letter "War Baby."

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RW-SB. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!