5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2021 10:00 AM by Helen Vaughn

    Seeking military records of Henry Johnson

    Toni Wulff Newbie

      I am seeking information on Henry Lee Johnson, who was in the US Cavalry and was at Fort Reno, Oklahoma

        • Re: Seeking military records of Henry Johnson
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          What timeframe? Also if you have any additional information on the individual like DOB, place of birth

          • Re: Seeking military records of Henry Johnson
            J. Andrew Scout

            According to Wikipedia, Fort Reno was active from 1875 to 1949.  Could you please provide additional details about which time period he served.  If you can also provide his dates of service, date of birth, which regiment he served in, and what records or other information you have already located that would be helpful.

            • Re: Seeking military records of Henry Johnson
              Jason Atkinson Ranger

              Dear Ms. Wulff,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              Records regarding this soldier might be in one of several places, based on his date of separation and whether he was an officer or an enlisted soldier.


              Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              If he was an enlisted soldier that separated from service before November 1912, there would not be an OMPF for him.  Instead, records of this service would be in the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 and the Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94). If he were an officer who separated prior to July 1917, records of his service would be in the Letters Received, 1863 - 1917 in Record Group 94. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

              • Re: Seeking military records of Henry Johnson
                Helen Vaughn Newbie

                I have requested and received (prior to COVID) medals and military records for several of my WWII family or friend's veteran members.  You must submit a Form SF180, which must be mailed due to the virus.  Please see the link below, and be prepared to be patient, takes a couple of months or more now.  Wonderful website.



                • Re: Seeking military records of Henry Johnson
                  DA Stoddard Newbie

                  Military records are the specialty of Fold3.com. You can get a free subscriptions for a week or so. I subscribe off or on, I want all those records, pension records, etc. The files often have much info like their birth dates, what they died of, letters from mothers, etc. You can get some of them at Ancestry and some at FamilySearch, but Fold3 is set up for this.