1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2021 11:46 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records of Shirley Schiff

    Susan Kagan Newbie

      I am seeking more complete information for Shirley B Schiff. From Ancestry.com I have an index of her WWII enlistment papers. She was born in 1919 in Illinois,  resided in NY, NY, enlisted 1/20/1943. Her service number was A-202099, branch Inactive Reserve in Women's Army Corps. Occupation was listed as Physicians and dentists assistant and attendants .She married Aaron Leo Brill who was also in the service. Can I get more information on her? What would I request? I know no other information regarding her service. I am a descendant of Shirley B. Schiff.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Shirley Schiff
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Ms. Kagan,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For both your relatives, we suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted persons of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 for each one and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We suggest that you contact the County where they were married to request the marriage license of Shirley B. Schiff and Aaron L. Brill. If they do not have the information, you may wish to contact the surrounding counties.  We suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wiki for How to Find United States Marriage Records for more information.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!