7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2021 4:29 PM by Metick Teeter

Seeking ancestors who fought in the American Revolutionary War

Metick Teeter Newbie

I am new to researching the archives and would like any suggestions on where to start. In particular I want to find out information about ancestors who fought in the American Revolution. Any suggestions?

• Re: Seeking ancestors who fought in the American Revolutionary War
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Metick,

Do you have anyone or any stories from family members passed down through the years.

Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Teeter,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Please review the National Archives topic page on The American Revolution for an overview of the records in National Archives custody that may be used to document individual service in the Continental Army and Navy during the American Revolution. For more information about these records, please contact National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Additionally, please review Finding Your Revolutionary War Ancestor on the FamilySearch Wiki.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
              Marsha Van Ham Wayfarer

A confusing question needing more information:

1. Are you looking for a particular person?

2. Do you know where he was living at the time?

3. What  is your objective in this search?

4. What is your time frame?

5. Do you have a list of descendants or a pedigree from which to begin?

If you're looking for general information on the war or a state, begin with reading a book on the Rev. War, then find a book on the state's involvement.  Between those two you should find a few names to begin a search.

If you're just looking for all soldiers with the last name of JONES serving in Virginia, search for that surname at NARA and in Virginia State Library. You can also search records in the DAR Patriot records - https://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search/?tab_id=0. However, if you are interested in determining/ascertaining/identifying and researching a particular Patriot ancestor, you'll need to develop a line of descendants.  If your objective is to join a lineage society you typically need - at least - documented "proof" records of birth, marriage, death of each ancestor back to the Rev. War patriot. Some societies require direct lineal descent and others don't. You'll need to check the society of your interest to determine the requirements.

The best answer to your question is - It Depends, what's your Objective?  Good Luck!

2 people found this helpful
                  Metick Teeter Newbie

Hi,

Thank you, Mr. Schneider, and Mr. Atkinson for your helpful tips on researching my ancestor. In response to your posted questions, this is the information I have.

1. Are you looking for a particular person?

Yes, Lt. Jacob Ludwig Schneider. Some alternate spellings I've seen for his last name are, Snyder and Snider.

2. Do you know where he was living at the time?

Yes, he was a Virginia resident and his home region later became part of West Virginia.

3. What  is your objective in this search?

I, at this time, am not focusing on joining a lineage society although I'm not ruling it out as a future possibility. I can trace many ancestors back to Europe and some who immigrated to the Colonies. Right now my goal is to find out what part my ancestors played in the American Revolution and later look at Civil War participation of my ancestors.

4. What is your time frame?

1750-1790 Appx.

Jacob Schneider was born in 1732 in Germany, came to the Colonies in 1749 arriving in Philadelphia, and his headstone says he died in 1790 at his home in Jones Springs, Berkeley County, West Virginia. His headstone, which is located on the original family farm, also says he was a Lieutenant in the Virginia Militia during the American Revolution. Of interest also is that he had a son born in 1776 and named him George Washington Snider.

5. Do you have a list of descendants or a pedigree from which to begin?

On family search I can trace a direct lineage back to Jacob Schneider on my paternal grandfathers side. I also have direct lineage on my paternal grandmothers family tree too but I have not looked at that lineage closely yet.