2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2021 11:24 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking DFC citation for Sgt William Caldwell

    Jeff DeWitt Newbie

      I am seeking information on the award of the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for Sgt. William Frank Caldwell (1922-1945). I can find references to him being a recipient but his name doesn't appear on lists of DFC recipients. Serial number was 11094945. He went MIA on 2/10/1945 off the coast of Haha Jima on B-24L tail number 44-41465.  Any help is appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking DFC citation for Sgt William Caldwell
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information below. You can find a record of the citation by requesting the General Order from the HQ 7th AF GO #118 Sept 1945. There is a website that the AF uses for its archives and you can get an electronic upload sent to you by using their email system. I forget what it is but I think its AFHRA? I forget the email address but I'm sure someone here will respond or know.


          Also found the MACR for 1945









          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking DFC citation for Sgt William Caldwell
            Lisha Penn Pioneer

            Dear Mr. DeWitt,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force/U.S. Air Force units. We searched the Air Force History index to the microfilm and located general orders of the Seventh Air Force for 1945. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. Since the reel number begins with A, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to them.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) if you have not already done so. OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            You also may wish to review the US Army Center of Military History; and Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal Criteria (Chronological) websites for additional information and/or resources.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!