1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2021 12:42 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking muster rolls of USS Maine

William Cardell Newbie

My grandfather Willie Jamison’s military record indicates he served on the USS Maine, which I believe was destroyed in Havana in 1898.  My grandfather was born in 1887, isn’t this an error in his record? He would have been 12 years old. Are there crew records for the Maine?

• Re: Seeking muster rolls of USS Maine
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Cardell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Based on his date of birth, he was not old enough to have served in the first USS Maine which sank in 1898.  However, there was a second USS Maine (Battleship No. 10), which was commissioned in 1901 and in service until 1920. Your grandfather may have served on this USS Maine.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Muster Rolls of Naval Ships and Shore Establishments, 1/1898 - 6/30/1939 in the Records of the Bureau of Personnel (Record Group 24) that may have muster rolls of the second USS Maine. These records have not been digitized and are not available online. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!