3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2021 7:51 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking maps of Ascom City & surrounding area

Richard Belz Newbie

I would like to find maps of Ascom City (a US Army Post) and the surrounding area in South Korea from 1959-1960. Ascom City was about half way between Inchon and Seoul. It no longer exists and Google Earth shows lots of houses. The area is probably now a "bedroom community" for workers in Seoul.

• Re: Seeking maps of Ascom City & surrounding area
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Hello Richard,

Please see information below.

Richard Belz Newbie

Elliot,

Thank you very much. Boy did that bring back memories.

Is there any way to find out exactly where a particular unit was located? I was with a VERY small machine records processing unit (think of the old IBM punch card equipment) and we were assigned to the Headquarters Company of the 55th Quartermaster Depot. Since I had worked for IBM fixing the machines before being drafted I ended up doing exactly the same thing for my two years in the Army, the last year in Korea.

Thanks again.

Richard (Dick) Belz

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Belz,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located General Orders, Project Files, and Other Records, 1955 - 1963 in the Records of the U.S. Army, Pacific (Record Group 550) that may include information about Ascom City and the 55th Quartermaster Depot or lower echelon unit during 1959-1960. We also located the series Organizational History Files, 1959 - 1973 in Record Group 550 that includes a file unit tilted Ascom City, Korea. For more information about these and other possible records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The unit records you seek still may be in the custody of the Army. For the exact location of these files, please contact Anthony Crawley-Gibson, Army Records Officer, Army Records Management Division, 7701 Telegraph Road, Alexandria, VA 22315. The telephone number is 703-428-6464 and email is anthony.d.crawley-gibson.civ@mail.mil. Please request the name of the facility, transfer numbers, and box numbers.

Lastly, we located a reunion page for members of the 55th Quartermaster Depot assigned to Ascom City.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!