6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2021 8:52 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking service records for my great uncles

    Emily Sandlin Newbie

      Where could I find the service records for my great uncles? I have eight great uncles that were in the service. Only one is still living, so I would like to put something together for our family to look back on. I have their full names, date of birth and death dates.

        • Re: Seeking service records for my great uncles
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Do you mind sharing the names of individuals, DOB, place of birth? You would need to request based on time frame and when they served from the NPRC in St. Louis using a SF-180 but currently NARA has suspended these requests due to the pandemic and are only processing emergency requests.

          • Re: Seeking service records for my great uncles

            Dear Ms. Sandlin,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of all of their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 for each uncle and mail them to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


            Military personnel records are completely opened to the public 62 years after the veteran leaves the military. If less than 62 years have passed since the veteran’s discharge date (to include any reserve time), certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records and Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Holdings.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful