1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2021 9:49 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking military & medical records of Loyal Montgomery

    Martha Overby Newbie

      I am trying to find information on a veteran wounded in Korea during 1950-53. Loyal Robert Montgomery, date of birth is 4-30-1932, He severed in the  9th Infantry. He was wounded, sent to an aid station with the 66th Tank Battalion, then sent to Seoul, then on to a US hospital in Osaka Japan. If I can verify he was treated any of these 3 places, we can do a valid claim with the VA for him. He is 88 years old .

        • Re: Seeking military & medical records of Loyal Montgomery
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Overby,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of Mr. Montgomery’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          In addition, individual medical reports of veterans (including inpatient and outpatient records) who left the Army before October 16, 1992 are also in the custody of the NPRC in St. Louis.  Please complete a NA Form 13042 and mail it to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          Morning reports for Army units from November 1, 1912 to 1959 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.  They may include his transfers to the aid station and to Seoul.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!