2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2021 1:58 PM by Stephen Carfora

Seeking Hospital Admission Card Files of Earle Pilgrim

Stephen Carfora Wayfarer

I am researching a World War II veteran - Earle Montrose Pilgrim, African American, 477th Composite Group (USAAF). I have found four records for him at Ancesty.com in the record set titled, “World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, 1942-1954.” The Source Citation for the records is: National Archives and Records Administration, Hospital Admission Card Files, ca. 1970 - ca. 1970 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112).

The four Ancestry.com records are extracts, not scans of the originals, and they document four hospitalizations that this veteran underwent in 1944 (Feb, Sep, Oct and Dec). Each record provides 14 fields of information (Name, Race, Rank, Admission and Discharge Dates, Diagnosis, Type of Injury, etc.).

I would like to find out if there is additional information in the original documents besides what has been extracted by Ancestry.com. For instance: 1) None of the records indicate where the hospitalizations took place. Might this information be available in the original documents held by NARA; 2) Two of the records have the entry, "Diagnosis: [withheld by NARA]." Why has the Diagnosis information been withheld by NARA? Can I obtain this information if I view the original document held by NARA; and 3) One of the records has the entry, "Injured in line of duty, other." Can I find out more about the details of the injury and how it occurred in his line of duty.  Thank you.

• Re: Seeking Hospital Admission Card Files of Earle Pilgrim
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

Dear Mr. Carfora,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Hospital Admission Card Files, covering 1942 - 1954 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) that consists of a data file that contains 7.9 million records pertaining to some 5.3 million patients, mostly U.S. Army personnel wounded in battle during World War II and the Korean War. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) at cer@nara.gov.

In regards to the redacted information: Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDE. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!