2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2021 8:45 AM by Terri Ballard

    Seeking military records of John Ronald Smith

    Terri Ballard Wayfarer

      I am looking for military records of John Ronald Smith (circa 1946 - 1995) particularly stationed in the country of Panama. I am interested in any children and if his parents are John W. Smith and Elizabeth Hundley.

        • Re: Seeking military records of John Ronald Smith
          Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Ballard,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his/her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who  separated from the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, death, marriage or divorce records. Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives.  We suggest that you review the FamilySearch Research wikis for United States Genealogy.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!