1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2021 12:45 PM by Sylvia Naylor

    How can I obtain my DD-214 for VA home loan?

    Mark Bates Newbie

      How can I obtain a DD214?  I need to obtain my DD-214 for a VA home loan but DEERS and eBenefits could not help

        • Re: How can I obtain my DD-214 for VA home loan?
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Mr. Bates,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          You may obtain a copy of your DD-214 by completing a GSA Standard Form 180 and mailing it to the location indicated on page three of the form.  The separation document is part of the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and where they are held is dependent upon the branch of service and date of separation.  OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces in WWI and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Modern service records, generally for veterans who separated after Calendar Year 2000, are available in electronic format. NPRC has deployed new digital delivery functionality to enable some of these requests to be serviced by its staff from remote locations. To be eligible for this service it is imperative that requesters submit a request using the online application, eVetRecs, and provide an email address with their request. If you provide an email address and your request involves records available in electronic format, the NPRC staff will obtain the records and provide you with credentials that will enable you to download the requested records from a secure server. This service is available only when (1) the responsive records are available in digital format, and (2) requesters provide an email address with their request.


          In many instances, records that are available in electronic formats also may be accessed directly by veterans, without involvement from NPRC, through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) eBenefits application at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/homepage or the Department of Defense milConnect application at https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/. If you are having difficulty accessing eBenefits or DEERS, please contact the VA via https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/contact.


          Modern military medical records may be accessed through the VA’s Blue Button application at https://www.va.gov/health-care/get-medical-records/. For more information regarding the online availability of VA and military records, please visit https://www.va.gov/records/.


          We hope this is helpful.