1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2021 10:35 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking WWI military records of the Ottoman Empire

M G Newbie

Hi, I'd be really grateful for some help. So apparently the Ottoman Empire went around villages and forcefully recruited young people to serve during WWI. We know that the person has been taken on a truck along with other young people from the same village. He was never heard from again and the family never found out what happened to him. We only know his name and approximate DOB. This happened in the Ramla subdistrict of the Ottoman Empire. I would assume he has been taken into the direction of today's Turkey.  How can I find WWI military records of the Ottoman Empire? I have no idea where to start searching for him, does anyone have any idea?  Thanks!

• Re: Seeking WWI military records of the Ottoman Empire
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

Dear M. J. Graff,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 4 series, 214 file units, and 24 items in various record groups that include records pertaining to the Ottoman Empire for the 1910-1919 time period. Please note that some of the records have been digitized and may be viewed using the Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized records, please contact the unit listed in the description.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from various NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Further, we suggest that you review the holdings of the Ottoman State Archives which is the primary repository for state archival documents in Turkey related to the Ottoman Empire. Their website is https://www.devletarsivleri.gov.tr/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!