1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2021 7:49 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking muster rolls of USS Arizona

Randall Regalado Newbie

How to see a crews list for a U.S. Naval ship from 1936?  I had an Uncle that served aboard the USS Arizona, in 1936. But all the family knows him as Uncle Duke (last name Randall). And no one knows his first name that is still living. He had giving me an envelope when they had cross the equator on 05/20/1936. And I would like to have a flag flown on her on that date and have a shadow box made with the two items in it. I just need his first real name for the certificate. I'm trying to find the crews list for that time.

• Re: Seeking muster rolls of USS Arizona
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Regalado,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Index to Muster Rolls of Naval Ships and Shore Establishments, 1/1898 - 6/30/1939 and the Muster Rolls of Naval Ships and Shore Establishments, 1/1898 - 6/30/1939 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that may contain the muster rolls of the USS Arizona (BB-39) for 1936. Please note that muster rolls generally only contain names of enlisted personnel.  Rosters of officers are typically attached to deck logs.  We also located Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships, 1801 - 1940 in Record Group 24 that include the deck logs of the USS Arizona for 1936. These records have not been digitized and are not available online. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!