1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2021 8:08 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking English soldier helped by Primo Mazzoli

Massimo Cavagni Newbie

Dear all,  I am writing from Fidenza (Parma, Italy) because I would like to know more about an event that my Grandfather told me several years ago. On 8 September 1943 in Italy, there was an armistice between Allied forces and the Italian government, in that occasion many English Officials, that were inmates at Fontanellato (Parma) prison named PG-49, were able to escape from their cage trying to go back to fight with Allied Forces or go back home in UK. Not too far from that prison was my Grandfather (Mazzoli Primo) house, he was living in Toccalmatto (enclosed in Fontanellato municipality) and in the days following the 8th of September armistice he helped one of the English Officials to hide in his house for about one month; later my Grandfather and my Grandmother helped him to start his travel back to UK accompanying him to Parma train station were he left for Switzerland by train.  When WWII War was over, this English Official and his wife went to Italy to meet my Grandfather and Grandmother as a sign of gratitude.  Few years after that 8th September event, the Allied Forces sent my Grandfather an Official Document to thank him and his family for hiding and helping this English Official go back to his home in the UK.  Now I'm trying to find more information on that event: like English Official name, his hometown (etc) and if it's possible to get in touch with his descendants.

Here some info about my Grandfather: Name: Primo, Surname: Mazzoli, Born in Castelnuovo Fogliani (Piacenza, Italy) on 8 November 1908 - Died on 6 February 2014 in Fidenza (Parma, Italy). Hometown when the event took place: Toccalmatto (Fontanellato municipality), Parma, Italy. Attached Documents:  the Allied Forces document received by my Grandfather as an acknowledgment for his help. On power left corner of Italian version there are some Numbers that should match National Archives entry. Thanks in advance to anyone that will help to find more about this story.

Certificate from Field Marshall of Allied ForcesItalian document attaccherà with certificateDocument number for archives

• Re: Seeking English soldier helped by Primo Mazzoli
          Rachael Salyer Navigator

Dear Mr. Cavagni,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Helper Claims, 7/1944-4/1947 in the Records of Allied Operational and Occupation Headquarters, World War II (Record Group 331) created by the Allied Screening Commission (Italy) that may contain some information related to your research. The series Index to Helper Claims, 7/1944-1946 also in Record Group 331 serves as an index to the records, which have not been digitized. For access to and information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

In addition, we located the series List of Italian Helper Claims Registered after February 28, 1946, ca. 4/1946-8/1947 in Record Group 331 that might be of interest to you since one of the documents you shared was dated 18/1/47 (January 18, 1947). The series Subject Files, 12/28/1944-11/28/1947 and the series Reference Set of Basic Documents, 5/1946-1/1947 in Record Group 331 contain information about Italian helper claims as well. These records have not been digitized. Please contact RDT2 with any questions you might have about these and similar records.

Please note that the numbers listed in the lower left corner of the last image you shared (75652 and 39378) are most likely claim numbers assigned by the Allied Screening Commission (Italy) and are not U.S. National Archives entry numbers. However, they may be used to help identify records related to your grandfather’s claim.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Finally, since the official your grandfather aided was English, you may wish to contact the National Archives of the United Kingdom (UK) to see if they can offer you any additional assistance.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!