6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2021 5:17 PM by kenneth morse

Seeking soldier records of my Great Great Grandfather

kenneth morse Newbie

My Great Great Grandfather was with Co. B 148th New York State Volunteers and was shot in the ankle and taken prisoner on October 27 or 28, 1864 at the Battle of Seven Pines and was taken to Gwathmey Prison Hospital No. 21 in Richmond, VA at Cary and 25th Streets.  They amputated his leg above the wound and he died from gangrene and on Nov. 29, 1864 and was buried on the Hospital grounds on Nov. 30th.  I have this information from a letter written to my Great Great Grandmother by the Union soldier that took care of him in the Hospital.  I have researched Hospital Prison records and know there were records kept concerning Register of patients with name, rank, organization, injury or disease, where and how received or place of capture....record of clothing and linen issued and prescriptions given daily.  I also have about 100 letters he wrote from 1862-64 before his capture and am working on putting them into an historical document or book.  I have the Record Group and volumes where this info is located but have no idea on how to access the information