2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2021 3:15 PM by Jeremy Crabb

    Seeking campaign ribbons/medals for John Richard Small

    Tina Hinkle Newbie

      What campaign ribbons/medals, citations, decorations etc were awarded to John Richard Small ? He was in the U.S. Navy, Nov 1964 and July 1965.

        • Re: Seeking campaign ribbons/medals for John Richard Small
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Hinkle,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1958 and before January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Based on the dates provided, the veteran would be entitled to the National Defense Service Medal (NDSM). The NDSM was authorized to all US military personnel between January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 during the Vietnam period. Other awards information may be listed in the OMPF.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

          • Re: Seeking campaign ribbons/medals for John Richard Small
            Jeremy Crabb Adventurer

            Ms. Hinkle,


            Medals and awards information are in the veteran's personnel record. They contain an accounting of every award the veteran earned, but sometimes there can be some missing information. You'll need to request his record from the NPRC (although they aren't processing medals requests right now because of COVID-19).


            Based on the dates, he should be entitled to the National Defense Service Medal at least. If you know if he served on any naval vessel, you can search the Naval History and Heritage Command website for any awards the vessel received.