1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 13, 2021 3:50 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking copy of a DD-256A

    Cathy Prestriedge Newbie

      How do I get a copy of a DD-256A?

        • Re: Seeking copy of a DD-256A
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Prestriedge,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          A DD-256A (Honorable Discharge Certificate) can be replaced if the original was lost, stolen, or never received. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful.