2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2021 2:49 PM by Mark Beutler

    Seeking parent's naturalization certificate

    Mark Beutler Newbie

      Basic question.  My parents are deceased.  But I need a certified copy of one parent's naturalization certificate.  I know exactly what I am looking for because I have a photocopy with certificate number.  My mother was naturalized in federal court, Newark NJ, in 1954.  Do I write to the National Archives in New York, or do I write to the USCIS?    Any tips on speeding up the process?  Thanks everyone. 

        • Re: Seeking parent's naturalization certificate
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Mr. Beutler,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Two copies of the certificate of citizenship were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). All INS records are now overseen by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created September 27, 1906-March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). C-Files can be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.


          If you are pursuing dual citizenship, the Consulates are aware that USCIS does NOT provide certification of files in their holdings.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the document(s) along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!