3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2021 6:58 PM by Kathy Amoroso Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking information on Deserter from Ft Sanders

Kathy Amoroso Newbie

This is great Information thanks. I just found out that an ancestor deserted from Fort Sanders in Wyoming Territory in 1880. Is there way to see if he was caught? I'm guessing not. I haven't been able to find him in census or any other records or newspapers after 1880. I just don't know if he appears in any other records. I have checked Ancestry.com. MyHeritage.com, Genealogybank.com, Newspapers.com, FamilySearch.org.

I see him in the U.S., Army, Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914 on Ancestry.com and that's where I see that he deserted. I can't read the Regiment or Company name. Can you? ? Cav. ? Company ?. He was Dennis Kelley, Born circa 1855, Maine. Enlisted 1878 in Boston, deserted Sept 8 1880. I see him in the 1880 Census at Fort Sanders in Wyoming. Year: 1880; Census Place: Fort Sanders, Albany, Wyoming; Roll: 1454; Page: 60A; Enumeration District: 022. It doesn't look like the court martials you reference here are indexed by name. Are they? Thank you. Just trying to see if there is any other place to find him after he deserted.

• Re: Seeking information on Deserter from Ft Sanders
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Ms. Amoroso,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Registers of Enlistments in the United States Army, 1798 - 1914 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that includes the original records available in digital format on Ancestry.  These records are in the custody of the  National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) and may be contacted via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.  RDT1 checked these records for us and indicated that Daniel Kelley served in Company D, 3rd Cavalry Regiment. A deserter caught apprehended by the Army would be courts-martialed.  If the register does not state that he was tried, or at least reference a courts-martial order, then the Army probably did not catch him.

We also located the series Court Martial Case Files, 12/1800 - 10/1894 in the Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Army) (Record Group 153) but were unable to locate  a case file for him.

Additionally, we located  Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 in Record Group 94 that  may have additional information about his service. Finally, we located 12 record series created by the 3rd Cavalry Regiment in the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units.  These records are not available online.   For more information about these records, please email RDT1.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking information on Deserter from Ft Sanders
            Elliot Schneider Ranger

Kathy,

Dose this information seem correct? Do you have any additional information on your individual or his family. This 1860 Census seems like it could fit the bill because the next time he shows up in on the 1880 Ft. Sanders Census. Do you happen to know DOD? Here is something I found https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/198003676/dennis-j.-kelley

Name:Dennis Kelley
            Birth Year:abt 1858
            Birth Place:Maine
            Home in 1860:Portland, Cumberland, Maine
            Post Office:Portland
            Dwelling Number:1789
            Family Number:2604
            Household MembersAge
            Martin Kelley40
            Mary Kelley29
            Michael Kelley10
            Brion Kelley9