1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2021 3:58 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking transcript of the courts-martial of a black soldier

William Frankel Newbie

I am seeking the transcript of a courts-martial of a black soldier in 1943. The trial was held at the Nashville Army Air Base and resulted in an acquittal. The charge was ‘starting a race riot’ and the soldier was acquitted. 2nd lieutenant Bennett Frankel (my father) was the defense lawyer. It would be interesting if Earl M. Pilgrim was the defendant but I have no idea if this was the case.  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking transcript of the courts-martial of a black soldier
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Frankel,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

U.S. Army general courts-martial (GCM) records from 1917 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to the records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!