1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2021 11:35 AM by Shannon Kerner

    Seeking military records of Mark Essex

    sean donnelly Newbie

      I am an independent tv/film producer researching Mark James Robert Essex, the New Orleans Downtown Howard Johnson's sniper in 1973.  I am specifically looking for any Naval archives from his time in the US Navy (San Diego / Imperial Beach) in the late 1960s.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

        • Re: Seeking military records of Mark Essex
          Shannon Kerner Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Donnelly,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1958 and before January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!