5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2021 10:07 AM by Aliki Panayotopoulou

Seeking OSS & military records of Yannis Lagouranis

Aliki Panayotopoulou Newbie

Hello, I am looking any information regarding my grandfather's action during his service at OSS (10 Sept 1943 - 22 Nov 1944). I know he was in the Africa-Middle East Theater of Operations. Furthermore, I accidentally found his name (X-26 Yannis Lagouranis) in the book Classical Spies American Archeologists with the OSS in WWII Greece by Dr. Susan Heuck Allen (2011) under the section OSS Greek Desk Missions (attached is the details).

The only record I have is a Certification of Service with his name written as IOANNIS LANGOURANIS (spelled as YANNIS LAGOURANIS as well) and signed by William J. Donovan.  Your help will be of great value for my family.

• Re: Seeking OSS & military records of Yannis Lagouranis
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Panayotopoulou,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the Records of the Office of Strategic Services (Record Group 226) but were unable to locate information concerning Yannis / Ioannis Lagouranis in the OSS personnel files but he may be listed in the name index to the OSS records. For more information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

If he also served in the armed forces, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Hello Mr. Richardson,

I have done a bit of search through the online records available myself without results thought. I will contact NARA to see what they might have.

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

1 person found this helpful

Mr. Richardson,

I found this from the book I mentioned in my initial post which is relevant to my grandfather since "Loon" it was his "code" name in OSS.

"Loon’s report on the day’s events was filed on the fourteenth and rated B2. Dodo’s was rated A2. NARA 226/108."

Is there any way I can access the specific file?

Thanks!

Rachael Salyer Navigator

Dear Mr. Panayotopoulou,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

“NARA 226/108” most likely refers to the series Washington Registry Intelligence Field Files, 1942-1947 (entry UD 108) in the Records of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) (Record Group 226). These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about them, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Next, we searched the Code Name Index to the OSS records and located one reference to “Loon” in box 38, folder 376 of entry A1 110, which is the series Field Intelligence Reports, Theater Officer Correspondence, and Draft Histories, 1942-1945 in Record Group 226. These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDT2 with any questions you may have about these or similar records.

Finally, we also searched the OSS Personal Name Index and the Index to the Director’s Office Files for the names IOANNIS LANGOURANIS and YANNIS LAGOURANIS, but we were unable to find any references to either of these names in the indexes.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful