5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2021 6:42 PM by Pamela Risher

Seeking military information about Charles West

Pamela Risher Newbie

My grandfather, Charles Robert West, was a Tech 4 in the 36th Tank Battalion of the 8th Armored Division. He was KIA  in the city of Rheinberg, Germany on March 5, 1945 and received a Purple Heart for his service. He was a member of The Thundering Herd. I would appreciate any additional information or pictures, as I have just this past year learned he was my biological grandfather because my dad was adopted. It was such an honor to learn of this. I have his requested military records, but I have not heard anything.

• Re: Seeking military information about Charles West
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Ms. Risher,

Here is some information below to start you on your search. He is Listed in Company B, 36th TK BN

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56305130/charles-r-west

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Risher,

Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes 29 file units of the 8th Armored Division during the 1940s. We also located the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of the 36th Tank Battalion and the 8th Armored Division during WWII. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Since he was killed in action, we suggest that you request a copy of his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405. They are being scanned by the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in order to properly identify remains of those still listed as missing.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Elliot Schneider Ranger

Pamela,

Here is a photo

1 person found this helpful
                  Pamela Risher Newbie

Yes!! That’s him. Thank you for all your search time. He was so handsome.

I’m going to go through the above post word by word and try to see what I can do to write for any records I can get.
                  Not being familiar with military terms or forms, I’ll have to look up some stuff probably. 

My main concern is being a granddaughter and how that will affect me getting information. As I’ve said, he never married or had any other children, only my dad, because on one form I tried to fill out online requesting information it didn’t go through grandchildren, just children as an option for who was obtaining records. But, I’ll pray it will all work out. 

Thank you.