1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 10, 2021 2:04 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Arthur Jonsson

    Jon Jonsson Newbie

      I am looking for my father's military records and genealogy. His name was Arthur H Jonsson and he died in 1971. He was in the Navy in the late 1940s and may have been on the USS Walker (DD-517).

        • Re: Seeking military records of Arthur Jonsson
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Jonsson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the muster rolls of the Walker (DD-517), 4/3/43-5/31/46 and the Hale (DD-642), 6/15/43-1/15/47. These muster rolls have been digitized and can be viewed online using the Catalog.  Arthur Jonsson, service number 947 71 54, appears on the muster rolls for the USS Walker on 29 Oct 1945, 1 Mar 1946, 1 Apr 1946, and 31 May 1946.  He appears on the rolls of the USS Hale for 1 Jun 1946, 1 Jul 1946 and 1 Sep 1946.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and before 1959 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. Please be sure to include the service number 947 71 54 on the form. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!