3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2021 4:11 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking roster for 1279th Combat Engineer Battalion

Roy Hardy Newbie

Recently acquired this uniform for a soldier in the 1279th Combat Engineer Battalion.  I know they served occupation duty in Germany during the Korean War with 7th Army and this uniform fits that time period.  The 7th SSI was in the pocket and it matches the shadow on the left shoulder.  Also, the shadow of a tab is under where the 7th SSI patch was located.  I am guessing the “Seven Steps To Hell” tab. Anybody know where I can check Korean War era laundry numbers?  Or the Location of a unit roster?  I believe this was a Michigan National Guard unit.

• Re: Seeking roster for 1279th Combat Engineer Battalion
          Elliot Schneider Ranger

Roy,

The unit crest pin is that of the 1279th Engineer Combat Battalion the patch is that of the 7th Army the following consisted of the, it also looks like it was a National Guard all African-American unit from Michigan.

34th Engineer Group (Combat)

ORGANIZATION - June 1954

UNIT DESIGNATION

HHC, 37th Engr Cbt Gp                      location: Pioneer Ksn, Hanau 

5th Engr Cbt Bn 

18th Engr Cbt Bn 

35th Engr Cbt Bn (1) 

317th Engr Cbt Bn 

1279th Engr Cbt Bn                            replaced by 299th Engr Cbt Bn in Dec 1954

143rd Engr Co (FB) Hanau 

373rd Engr Co (PB) 

807th Engr Co (Lt Equip)

Hope this helps,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Seeking roster for 1279th Combat Engineer Battalion
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

Dear Mr. Hardy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Copies of most of the monthly rosters from 1947 - 1959 for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, MO. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Laundry records are not scheduled as permanent and are destroyed after their initial use.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!