1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2021 9:12 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking court records regarding Jeremiah Thompson

Christopher Stemporzewski Newbie

I'm helping my Uncle research his family tree, and I realized that his Great Great Grandfather, Jeremiah Powell Thompson, born May 5, 1819, was brutally murdered in November 1856 in Tennessee by his neighbor and close friend Dr. Francis H. Pugh after a disagreement about politics. All of this information came from a newspaper article, so I have no real sources to back up the story. Another interesting thing that happened in regards to the murder is the fact that one year later, in September 1857, there was a 10,000 dollar reward posted in the papers for the capture of Pugh, even thought the first article states that Pugh was detained at the scene. I'm interested in finding the actual court documents about the trial that took place, as well as information about if/how/when Dr. Pugh escaped. The article says that all of this took place in Cornersville, TN.

• Re: Seeking court records regarding Jeremiah Thompson
          Cara Jensen Tracker

Dear Mr. Stemporzewski,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If the case was tried in U.S. District Court, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Criminal Case Files, 1803 - 1990 of the Middle District of Tennessee in the Records of District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21) that may include the case you seek. For more information, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) at  atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

If the was tried in a state or local cout, we suggest that you contact the Tennessee State Archives and the Marshall County Clerk of Court to request a search for any court records regarding the murder of Jeremiah Thompson and the detention of Francis Pugh. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!